I Need a Lighthouse, Inc. was founded with the mission of significantly reducing the loss and suffering from teen and young adult depression, suicide, and suicidal behavior in the South Hampton Roads area. We are proud to partner with NAMI to reach into local High Schools to establish an ongoing educational presence through the Lighthouse Psychology Club.
Lighthouse Psychology Clubs meet monthly and address topics such as:
- Opportunities in various Mental Health Professions
- Current issues debated in the field of Mental Health
- Stigma and education around Mental Health/Mental Illness, including how mental illness is portrayed in the media
The first club was founded at Cox High School in 2008. In 2009 we are thrilled to be forming clubs at Kellam High School, First Colonial High School, Kempsville High School and Bayside High School.
Lighthouse Psychology Clubs were recently featured in NAMI Beginnings, the magazine of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Click here to see the article (page 14)
Start a Lighthouse Psychology Club at your school!
- Step 1: Contact Kathleen Wakefield (Executive Director, INAL) at 757-496-9775 or Kay Ashby (NAMI) at 757-285-8362
- Step 2: Find a staff member willing to sponsor the club – INAL pays a small stipend and INAL and NAMI provide a list of speakers/topics which can be used to each meeting
- Step 3: Visit your Student Activities Coordinator and complete the required paperwork
If you would like more information re: the Club activities and/or help getting the process started at your school – Please contact us today at 757-496-9775.