“Build for your team a feeling of oneness, of dependence on one another and of strength to be derived by unity.” – Vince Lombardi
- It is easy to put together a team – just decide on a team name and recruit others to join you! Each person will register individually and you can train, fundraise, walk and/or run together and have fun!
- Teams can be comprised of corporate colleagues, community groups, friends, or family members.
- Individuals on the same team can compete in different distances…they can run or walk the 5K or participate in the 1 Mile Memory Walk.
Step 1: When you register, indicate your team name & name of the team captain
Click here to register for the Beacon of Hope.
Once you have registered, your team name will be added to a drop down menu and anyone else who wants to join your team can simply choose your team name when they register.
Step 2: Building a great team
- Set a goal of the number of team members you would like to have – then double it by asking each team member to bring a friend. Strive for a minimum of five runners or walkers. Click here to view, and download a sample team roster.
- Make sure that all team members know the team name and indicate they are a member of your team (simply select the team name form the choices provided in a drop down menu).
- When organizing teams at work, consider the size of your organization when setting your goal. The larger the organization, the larger the potential team.
- Be prepared – keep additional registration forms on hand at all times. Each runner or walker needs to send in an individual registration form and fee. Click here to register online, or download additional forms.
- Set up a team fundraising page through raceit.com. You can name the Fundraiser after your team. Once you’ve created the Team Fundraiser page, send it out to your team members so that they can distribute it to friends and family. Facebook can be another great way to spread the word about your team.
- Have team members set a fundraising goal and challenge each other to see who can collect the most money.
- Collect pledges in person. Use a pledge sheet to collect donations from friends, family, and colleagues. Click here to view and download a pledge sheet.
- Remind team members not to hesitate when recruiting runners or walkers or donations. Remember that there are many families in our community that have experienced the effects of suicide and depression. This is an opportunity to celebrate what we all CAN DO together.
- Make information about I Need a Lighthouse available to colleagues and friends. Go to
http://www.ineedalighthouse.org for more information.
- Use Facebook, Twitter, email, voice mail and posters to spread the word throughout your company or group.
- Get your team together for lunch, or run or walk together before the race.
- A few times before the run, have team members report on their fundraising success.
Step 3: Set goals & fundraise, fundraise, fundraise
To get started, click the Fundraise Now button to create a fundraising web page for you or your team. The tips below may give you some ideas as you develop your page and set your fundraising goals. Use your page to reach out to friends via Facebook, Twitter and email. With your help, This year’s Beacon of Hope can be our most successful event yet.